Saturday, July 11, 2009

Rhubarb and Ginger Jam

I'll see how it goes when I get to the farmer's market tomorrow, but I think this will be the last of the rhubarb for me. I never did get around to making the rhubarb chutney that I liked so much from last year, but this delicate jam makes up for it, I think.

Rhubarb and Ginger Jam
adapted from Preserves
  • 2 lbs rhubarb, sliced*
  • 2 lbs sugar
  • 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, bruised (I gave mine a whack with a meat tenderizer)
  • 1/4 C or so crystallized ginger, chopped
  • 1 Tb fresh lemon juice
Mix the rhubarb and sugar in a bowl and refrigerate overnight (or longer - it took me two days to get back to mine!).

The next day, scrape the rhubarb and sugar into a large, heavy pan. Add the ginger and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, until the rhubarb has softened.

Take out the fresh ginger and add the crystallized ginger and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat until the jam sets (at 222F or so).

Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Process in a boiling water bath 15 minutes. When completely cool, label and store.

* You can make this with however much rhubarb you have on hand - just use an equal weight of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment