Sunday, February 14, 2010

your house will smell amazing!

Although this year I've resolved to "put up" more pickles and whole fruits, I still have a lot of jams and sweet preserves from last year (and a few from the year before that, truth be told). I'm trying to use them in new ways. One I hadn't really thought of previously is in baking, but when I saw this recipe for Marmalade Gingerbread, I knew the Lemon-Ginger Marmalade I canned last winter would be perfect for it.

I brought a loaf with me to the Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat (which I've gone to every year I've been in Washington); the gingerbread was a hit with my knitting buddies.

Marmalade Gingerbread
adapted from Sensational Preserves

  • 1 1/4 C dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 C skim milk
  • 1/2 C butter, melted
  • 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce *
  • 2/3 C marmalade (any kind - each will be a bit different, obviously, but all should work, including store-bought) *
  • 3 C all-purpose flour
  • 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 Tbsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 7 pieces preserved ginger in syrup, chopped *
  • 2/3 C plump raisins
Preheat oven to 310F. Prepare two loaf pans (I use baking spray with flour) and set aside.

Mix the milk and sugar together until sugar is dissolved. Add melted butter, marmalade, and applesauce, stirring until marmalade dissolves. In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and form a well in the center. Mix the marmalade mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring to make a smooth batter. Stir in the eggs. Stir in the chopped ginger and raisins.

Pour into your prepared pans and bake for 60-90 minutes, until risen and firm to the touch in the center. Leave to cool in the pan.

Store in an airtight container. From the recipe's headnotes: "This gingerbread is best kept for a couple of days before being eaten."

makes 2 full-sized loaves

* If you have some home-canned versions of these, this would be a great recipe to use them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment