Saturday, January 19, 2013

Muffin Season (belated)

I know, it's technically been "muffin season" for quite some time. I got a little derailed this year, but I'm catching up. I woke up this morning thinking about a muffin with dates and pecans; when I got downstairs and looked at the pantry, I decided they'd be great in a spiced sweet-potato batter. This is what I came up with, aided by the always-fabulous King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking.

Sweet Potato Muffins with Pecans and Dates
adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
  • 8 oz (2 C) whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • fresh nutmeg, grated to yield about 1/4 tsp
  • 3 oz (3/4 C) chopped pecans, toasted lightly
  • 4 1/2 oz (3/4 C) chopped dates
  • 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
  • 7 1/2 oz (1 C) brown sugar (any kind; I actually used muscovado)
  • 1 3/4 oz (1/4 C) cane sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 9 1/2 oz (1 C) pureed sweet potato (mine was canned)
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease every other well in two 12-muffin tins.

Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices in a medium bowl. Mix in the pecans and dates. Cream together until fluffy the butter and sugars in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, then the vanilla and sweet potato. Add the dry ingredient mixture, stirring until evenly moistened.

Pour the batter into the prepared tins (I used two pans so the muffins would rise more evenly). Bake 20-24 minutes, until a tester inserted into a muffin comes out cleanly.
yield: about a dozen muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment