Friday, August 14, 2009

Because, Really, What ELSE Would You Want To Do In The Middle of A Heat Wave?

My rhubarb haul from Veggie Trader was enormous. What was initially supposed to be 5 lb became 10 lb... and then when I actually weighed it at home, was closer to 12 lb! So, in the middle of Seattle's hottest week this year (the week which contained Seattle's hottest-ever-recorded day), I canned. And canned. I am a crazy person. Because I'm not completely mad, I did this over several days:

"Victoria Sauce"
aka Rhubarb Chutney
adapted from the Ball Blue Book

  • 2 qts chopped rhubarb
  • 1/2 C chopped raisins
  • 1/2 C chopped onion
  • 3 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1/2 C vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
  • 1 tsp each allspice, cinnamon, ginger, salt
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Combine rhubarb, raisins, onion, sugar, and vinegar in a large pot. Cook over medium heat until very thick, at least 25 minutes. You'll need to stir it more as it thickens to keep it from burning. Add the spices and cook for another 5 minutes. Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 in headspace. Process in boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
yield: about 8 half-pint jars


Rhubarb and Cinnamon Jam
adapted from Sensational Preserves

  • 2 lbs rhubarb, sliced
  • 2 lb sugar
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • juice of 1 lemon
Stir the rhubarb and sugar together in a nonmetallic bowl, cover, and let macerate in refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan and add the cinnamon and juice. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and bring to a boil; boil for 15-20 minutes until the setting point is reached (220F). Remove the cinnamon sticks and ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 in headspace. Process in boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
yield: about 4 half-pint jars



Rhubarb, Date, and Apricot Chutney
adapted from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving

  • 4 C sliced rhubarb
  • 1 C chopped dried dates
  • 1 C brown sugar
  • 1/2 C chopped dried apricots
  • 1/2 C cider vinegar
  • 1/4 C finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 C finely chopped candied ginger
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp pickling salt (or a little more than 1/4 tsp kosher salt)
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for at least 10 minutes, until thickened and fruit is soft. Ladle into hot jars to within 1/2 inch of rim (headspace) and process 10 minutes (half-pints) or 15 minutes (pints) in a boiling water canner.
yield: about 4 half-pint jars


I also put up some Rhubarb, Apple, and Vanilla Jam. Although the recipe doesn't suggest doing so, I let the rhubarb macerate overnight for this, just like the cinnamon jam I'd made previously.

-----
ETA: bleh. That Victoria sauce is slightly gritty and weird. It's now 9 or so months later, and I've managed to use two jars. Even that was a struggle - I think I might just toss the remainder so that I can re-use the jars. I can't believe I'm even contemplating doing that, but it's definitely a sign of how much I disliked that chutney. (5/27/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment