Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dark-n-Stormy Sorbet

I'm not much of an ice-cream person (all the milk fat gets in the way of the sugar - and I'm all about the sugar), but I love me some sorbets. I suddenly decided I *had* to make this recipe last night, then realised I was out of rum. I made it to the liquor store mere moments before they closed. Of course, making ice cream/sorbet/whatever isn't an immediate-gratification thing, so we had it with our dinner tonight. Yum!

Dark-n-Stormy Sorbet
Adapted from this recipe

  • 24 ounces ginger beer, thoroughly chilled (I used Reed's extra-spicy)
  • 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons demerara or turbinado sugar (or regular brown sugar)
  • 1 cup coconut milk (I used "light" coconut milk)
  • 1 Tablespoon key lime juice (I'm sure regular would be fine as well)
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger
  • 1/2 C finely shredded coconut flakes
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons dark rum
In large bowl whisk together ginger beer and sugar till foam subsides and sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Whisk in coconut milk, lime juice, salt, and ginger. Mix in coconut.

Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. When sorbet is finished, slowly pour in rum and churn one minute longer. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm and scoopable.
makes about 1 pint

No comments:

Post a Comment