Sunday, March 16, 2014

my first lentil soup

I've been making this soup since I was in college. It's easy, cheap, and filling, thus hitting all my requirements from that period. I still really like it, for those reasons but also because it's healthy and freezes well (and of course, I wouldn't have made it many times if I didn't think it was tasty, too).

Lentil Soup
(adapted from Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen)

  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • olive oil
  • 1 cup dried lentils
  • 15 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
Saute onion, celery, carrots and garlic in some olive oil in a large pot until soft (5-8 minutes).  Add lentils, tomatoes, broth and other spices.  Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for at least 25 minutes, until lentils are soft.

As written, this recipe is vegan, but I often add a parmesan rind with the broth (remove when the lentils have finished cooking).

serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment