Tuesday, March 15, 2011

cookie time

I haven't made many cookies - this is part of the reason I still claim that I "don't really bake" despite all indications to the contrary - but a friend and I recently decided to start making cookies with her 2-year-old. We began with some simple molasses cookies. It was a blast; all three of us had a great time, and the cookies are delicious. I think that I'll add some orange peel (or possibly a bit of orange extract) the next time I make them, as they're a tad too simple for me.

Sugar and Spice Drop Cookies
adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking

  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 C molasses
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 C traditional whole wheat flour
Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter together with sugar and spices. Beat in the molasses and then the egg. Finally, beat in the flour. Refrigerate the dough, covered, for at least 30 minutes.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.
yield: approx. 53 cookies if no one eats any dough
(we got 44 cookies)

No comments:

Post a Comment