Sunday, January 10, 2010

back in the swing of things

I have a couple of food-related resolutions this year, one of which is to get at least my menus up here every week. I used to keep a three-ring binder with recipes in the front and notes about what I was cooking in the back, but I've gotten very lax about it, so this blog is my best reference when I want to look up the recipe for that awesome squash gratin or whatever. But only if I manage to post here.

Sunday: Eggs baked in cream with sauteed yellow foot chanterelles; whole-wheat bread

Today ended up being something of a prep day for the rest of the week: I made chicken stock, bread dough, and there's some pear bread in the oven right now.

Since I was already doing all this crazy cooking stuff, we had a simple dinner: a modified version of Luisa's Egg Baked in Cream. We picked up some mushrooms at the farmers' market today, and I sauteed about 3/4 lb yellow foot chanterelles with a diced yellow onion instead of just using leeks as in the original recipe:

Eggs Baked in Cream

  • small glug olive oil
  • small pat butter
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 tsp or so dried thyme
  • 3/4 lb mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 splashes half and half
Preheat oven to 400F. Heat the olive oil and butter in a hot skillet. Saute the onion until just starting to soften and turn translucent, about 2 minutes; add the thyme and mushrooms and continue cooking over medium-high heat until all the moisture has cooked out of the mushrooms and evaporated (about 15 minutes).

Divide the mushroom mixture into two oven-safe ramekins. Crack an egg into each one (try to center the yolk in the ramekin so it'll cook more evenly). Pour a little half and half into each ramekin. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking. (For this recipe, I like the yolks to be just barely set, which generally takes about 11 minutes.)
serves 2



I also baked some whole-wheat bread. The folks at Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day have a new book out focusing on whole grains, and their mostly whole-wheat bread recipe is our new standard. (I am a total ABin5M groupie, so I pre-ordered the book, but the recipe is here if you don't want to rush right out and buy a copy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment