Yep, it's that same kale we had last week, though on a very different menu. The tofu is from Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen.
Slice the tofu into about 6 sections and blot well with paper towels. Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the tofu, sprinkle it with salt, and cook over medium-high heat until golden. Flip over and cook until the second side is also golden brown. Then, shake some soy sauce onto each piece and keep cooking until it evaporates, giving the tofu a nice glaze. Serve with the scallions and peppers.
- 1 carton firm tofu packed in water, drained
- 2 tsp olive oil or vegetable oil (or cooking spray if using non-stick skillet)
- sea salt
- several dashes tamari soy sauce
- slivered scallions and thin red & green bell pepper stripsserves 2-4
Mix everything together or blend in a food processor until smooth. Preheat the broiler and set the seared tofu sections on a piece of foil on a cookie sheet. Top each with a thick-ish smear of the miso sauce and broil until blistered (2-3 minutes).
- 1/3 C white (shiro) miso
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 1 tsp roasted sesame oil
- small splash tamari soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise