Monday, May 31, 2010

memorial day 2010

Monday: hot dogs; peanut-radish slaw; baked Pope's beans; sliced pickled shallots

The sun finally peeked out a big Monday afternoon, just in time for us to grill some hot dogs (actually called "country dogs" by the farm that sells them at the market). I also made some slaw - I followed the recipe fairly closely, but I think some cilantro would be a good addition. We didn't have any, though, and it was still great.

I warmed up the kitchen a little bit by making baked beans based on my favorite lentil recipe. Although I didn't add any this time, I do frequently add some crisped bacon to this dish (just 2 strips).

"Barbecue" Baked Beans
adapted from Cooking Light

  • 4 cups cooked beans (reserve 1 C or so of the cooking liquid)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup prepared mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Combine beans and diced onion in a baking dish. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour the ketchup mixture over the bean mixture, stirring to combine.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. If the beans are getting a little too dry, add some of the reserved cooking liquid.

serves 6-8


No comments:

Post a Comment